One leather neck jar head - coming up ?


So I finally let the marine recruiters in the door tonight.   In typical fashion, there was much commotion & yelling as Howard and Coles wrangled the 3 barking dogs into the back yard, while trying to assure them, we were not under attack. 

The words "oh there are two of you - just swell" tumbled out of my mouth, while I walked down the stairs to greet the Sergeants, whom we shall call; Care Bear, & Napoleon.  Amanda, who had provided a moving "thou shalt not kill" lecture earlier, yet pledged her undying support, pinched my arm. 

As the shouts from the back yard grew intelligible, it became apparent that someone had once-a-freaking-gain, left the gate open, and Seamus was on the lam. Amanda sprang into action, blocking my potential escape route, and insisted SHE would go chase down the disobedient, one eyed, hobbling hound.  (she had trouble catching him - but that is another day's story)

She politely dodged the recruiters, dashed out the front door, & promptly fell down the front porch stairs, in an exceptional display of unskilled grace and bungling magnificence. I, however, was left stranded in the hallway, to choke down laughter, therefore shattering my "I'm from the dark side - fear me" demeanor (said in a Darth Vader voice), that I had put on, especially for the occasion. 

I led our villains into the dining room, through the tumbleweeds of dog hair, over the dirty floor, and offered them a seat at the table.  I almost felt a little something, as I watched them set their pristine white hats down, on my table full of dog hair and various dirt marks. 

I  sat down with my hands folded, mouth closed, staring at their leader, Sergeant Napoleon, and waited to be sold my used car.   Napoleon pressed his hands together, puffed out his chest, and asked "well mam, what questions do you have for us?"   I leaned forward slightly and said,  "I'd like to know exactly what it is you want from me tonight?"  And yes there is a tiny honor a 47 year old woman receives, when she makes a 27 year old pale at her dining room table.

Sergeant Care Bear took the lead and started explaining what the recruitment process was. I had done my own research, didn't really have questions, but was anxious to see what was in the "Now Get The Mom To Sign" hand book, so I just listened.  I think Napoleon took my silence as it not going well, and commandeered the conversation. 

As he gave me the "sign now - you'll get better choice of the jobs" propaganda, I started to lose interest.   But when he used the  "I am a recruiter, but I don't care about the numbers" line, my car salesman hating - alter ego took over, and I said in a polite Sybil voice "well if you don't care about the numbers,  then you aren't doing your job". 

I swear I saw the Care Bear hold back a smirk, as Napoleon got a little hot under the collar and replied, "Well I AM doing my job mam, and blah blah blah".  And since NO WHERE in the mommy rule book it says you need to fight fair, - I pretended to listen intently, as I got up, went over to the door, and let Max the giant Great Dane inside, to sniff his slobbery jowls all over them.

I told my dining room jar heads, that I respected what they did, believed they would make an independent, successful man out of my devil spawn, thought all their bureaucratic BS was nuts, that I have grave concerns about their superiors ability to make good decisions, and that they will never have my permission to talk to #4. I signed the necessary paper, and my son is now an official US Marine Recruit

(who has the option to change his mind up until 30 days before deployment .... just saying .....)


If you like today's story, leave a comment, share it through email, twitter or facebook via the little boxes below, and come back again. ~ Thanks for reading !!

No comments:

Post a Comment