Indian questions for 100 please


One time in the car going somewhere, Kid #4 was making us crazy.  In a last ditch effort to avoid throwing him out the window, I tried the distraction Hail Mary pass.  We were driving by the Colestown Cemetery at the time, so that was the topic.

“Hey kid #4, do you know there are Indians buried in that cemetery?”

Kid #4 pauses from his full body, “I have ADD and cannot sit still for another minute” episode, and asks the question on everybody’s mind      “How many?”

I, having already exhausted my knowledge of Indians buried in cemeteries, but unwilling to halt the respite of inactivity in the back seat, suggest that I am sure Pop Pop knows, and we should probably ask him.  #4 shrugs and goes back to sitting quietly in his seat.  Ah the blissful feeling of driving in a quiet car.

A few days later #4 says he wants to call Pop Pop.  My father, who is very chatty and pleasant on the phone, provided it is the 2nd Tuesday of the month and there is nothing on TV, answers the phone is his distinct “hello I am happy to talk to you but I am 75% sure I don’t want to hear what you have to say” voice.

#4 doesn’t waste time with pleasantries, “Pop pop, how many Indians?”
You got to feel a bit sorry for Pop Pop at this minute, the guy is willing to do his grandfather part, but keeping up with #4’s fast moving ADD mind can leave a person befuddled.

Dear sweet nurturing Pop Pop with no reference whatsoever for the question replies “Huh ?”

#4, getting annoyed at Pop Pop for clearly wasting his valuable time, says “How many Indians are in the Seminary?”  (Hey it’s close to Cemetery). 

Despite the obviously question of an, at the time 7 year old, Pop Pop still has no clue what #4 is talking about.  My father, having now been on the phone for 6.4 seconds longer than he actually wanted to be, and missing his show about a bear peeing in the woods, yet still trying to fulfill his grandfatherly duties, answers;       “Um I don’t know Hun.” 

#4, now having lost all patients for Pop Pop’s extreme lack of knowledge sighs loudly, and says
   “well could you find out” and hangs up on him. 

I give #4 the talk on “polite phone behavior” and the “You just can’t hang up on your grandfather” speech, and then call my dad to explain what the heck the cryptic phone call was all about. 

A few days later, #4 wants to call Pop Pop again. 

Pop Pop – “Hello”
#4 – “Ok pop pop, I’ll give you one more chance.  How many Indians are buried in the 
         Colestown Cemetery?”
Pop Pop – “ 15 hun “ 
#4 “ OK Bye”  click.

The man can’t catch a break 


If you like today's story, leave a comment, share it through email, twitter or facebook via the little boxes below,  and come back again. ~ Thanks for reading !!

No comments:

Post a Comment