I'm sorry Moon Dog


Oh God, I am pretty sure I killed Moon Dog on face book last night.

I didn’t plan it – so it wasn’t first degree, more like a crime of passion in a sudden outburst, of pent up, tired of being calm, cool and collected, exploding fit of rage, kind of thing. 

I sat down at the computer after dinner and was scrolling through the news feed, catching up on people’s comings and goings.  One of the status updates was from my face book friend; dear, sweet, kind, upstanding citizen,“ Moon dog”.  Yes most of the town we grew up in called him that in high school, and many still do, to this day. 

Moon Dog, who has got to be up for Knighthood in like 4 nearby countries, is this great neighbor that picks up trash and puts change in meters about to expire, who is always doing random acts of kindness for perfect strangers, and not only follows the rules on the quiet train car, but enforces them.  Not to mention he is a great family man with a wife and 2 adorable little girls, I mean what kind of woman attacks Moon Dog, future saint, and treasured small town hero. 

I mean yes a few years after high school, at husbands brother’s keg party, I charged Moon Dog, $ 5 bucks admission to the party, knowing full well the keg was beat, and the party was over.  But we had worked through that.  He forgave me.  He accepted my friend request.  I wished him happy birthday, more than once, and, I congratulated him on the birth of EACH of his daughters, I mean we had a history together.  Sure face book friends come and go, but I was a Moon Dog follower, I didn’t just skim his status's, I read them, and really tried hard to be a good of a person like he is. 

I should have followed the 24 hour rule or even the 24 minute rule, but no.  I hit reply to his status, and started typing.  I didn’t stop typing, I didn't even pause, I kept typing and typing, and never looked back.  When it was over I hit reply, and wiped the blood from my hands. 

It reminds me of the time when I was pregnant with # 1 and placed an order at the McDonald's counter.  The girls pushed 2 sodas in front of me, and I asked which one was Diet Coke.  She shrugged her shoulders and said “I don’t know”, and with that simple gesture, I turned from mild mannered happy customer, into a Hormone Crazed female Ninja. Suddenly I was Angry Girl, who had been deprived the right to a clear pathway to her diet coke, and channeling my inner Leona Helmsly, demanded to know how she could not have any idea, as to which of the two cups of soda, she had poured only seconds ago, was diet coke.  As the manager rushed over to go pour me a new, clearly marked, diet coke, I can still remember the wide eyed, absolutely stunned look on my best friend since 6th grades, face. Which reminds me, there may have been a similar incident with another well known, Moorestownian who used to cut our grass, while I was pregnant with #4.  I should probably apologize to him too…every woman has had those angry violent pregnant outburst right???

Well, I Drea Dibbles, Herby beg, Moon Dog, to please forgive me for slaughtering him in a public forum. 
It probably will not happen again.  XOXOXO

This was Moon Dogs status:      I am convinced that there is no honest contractor in North America. Probably none in any other continent either.   

And here, in its entirety, is my reply: 


There are honest contractors out there ... 

they are the ones that have Liability Insurance & workers comp
insurance, Hire legal employees & don't pay under the table,
have appropriate state licenses, file for permits, & get their worked inspected, 

they come out and listen while the customer says they want
gold lined bidets & granite, then try to politely guide the customer 
to materials that may be better suited to their budget, but will end
up just trying to convince the customer to call him back to re-adjust 
the quote,  if  , (but we know it will be; when) they decided they want to look 


If you like today's story, leave a comment, share it through email, twitter or face book via the little boxes below, and come back again. ~ Thanks for reading !!
at less expensive options. 

then they go home at night and put the price together,
doing their best crystal ball act to figure out exactly how long
the job will take, and make provisions for the fact that siding may 
be attached to the house with 3 foot long nails or not at all.
Then they add their profit into the job - maybe 10-15 % 
or 100-150 a day 

Then they mail the customer the price, and call two days later to 
follow up, and listen while the customer says....

NO WAY .... your price was WAY high - Cousin Vinnie & Sons can do 
it for like half that and he'll take a hundred off the price if I pay cash and 
let him dump the trash in my neighbors yard. 

I married an honest contractor & run his business for him .

No comments:

Post a Comment