Goodbye Oreo – part 2




Everyone is bummed that Oreo has gone to heaven, as he was tolerable as far as cats go.  Kid #3, however, being Oreo’s best buddy in the world sobbed and was devastated.  (For the sake of not having to listen to the 16 year yell at me for the next 24 hours, and to keep his image in tact – I will note - he was 11 when this took place)

Here is where a mistake may have been made.  I tell #3 we can get another cat.  (Oh come on - they were best friends and you know #3 never cries).  I believe I have the upper hand by saying, firmly, “No Kitten, they just trash the furniture; we can get an older cat”.

Friday evening we go to Pet Smart.  There has to be like 4 million youthfully challenged, just wanna lie in the sun, I’ll let you pet me - but never poop in your plant- cats; that need homes right??  The very happy volunteer, gushes that he would love to help us, but, we have to fill out an application, then wait to see if we are approved.  OK … so I am trying to keep some flea carrying, clawed shedding machine, that doesn’t care if I live or die, from the electric chair, and they need to decide if I am approved??  The way I see it is, as long as I don’t use Kitty for science experiments, they should be pretty darn happy I’m taking a cat off their hands. 

I fill out the application mumbling quietly to myself.  I get to the line that says social security and driver’s license number.  OK THAT’S IT!?!?!?!   There is NO way you can judge my ability to take care of some middle aged cat by my tax records, or the number of parking tickets I may have.  I tell Mr. Happy, that I have no intention of giving out this information.  He assures me this is not a problem and takes the opportunity to share with me, far too many details of his life in the mortgage industry.  After the CIA grilling buy the Cat police is complete, we hand in the application, and wait to hear if we are approved.

As we leave we walk by the birds.  #3 says “can we can we can we?”  I do my best Oh darn it to pieces impression, and say “I am sure you need to fill out an application for a bird too, honey”.  “Can I just ask, can I can I can I?”  From high on my horse I nod, smile and say “ok go ask”.   #3 finds the 16 year old pimply face bird helper and asks “excuse me what do I have to do to get a bird?”  Sir Pimpleface, with all the poise and grace a teenage boy can muster, says “Uh … which one you want.”   BAD WORD, BAD WORD, VERY BAD WORD, BAD WORD, & BAD WORD
Oh how badly a plan can backfire sometimes. 

So, #3, Sir Pimpleface, and I, squeeze into the tiny little area inside of the bird cages.  “How about the small little blue parakeet” I whisper, trying to catch my breath, and still the throbbing pain in my head.  Sir Pimpleface, who should be shot, says “don’t you want a bird that talks?”  (remind me to have the school bully beat this kid up).  Well OF COURSE #3 wants a bird that can talk and sit on his shoulder.  “But …the little blue parakeet is so cute… and…so um birdlike sitting on that …bird perch there – what about him?”  I plead. 

Sir Pimpleface gets the $$$ bird out of the cage.  (Priced blanked out to protect the holy matrimonially union).  The million dollar bird obviously knows when to perform, and cutely steps onto Carson’s finger, then cocks her adorable little bird brained head.  “But that parakeet there is so BLUE” I stammer, as Sir Pimpleface spouts all the fantastic things that THIS bird will do.  (He neglects to mention how the bird will hate everything and bite the living crap out of anything that comes near it until it adjusts to family life)

As Carson and Sir Pimpleface extol the virtues of this bird and dance with delight, I implore a final time “#3 …are you sure you don’t want the cute little blue parakeet …look ~ he looks so friendly …just sitting there…. ignoring you … and pooping on that stick ~ what about him?” #3, now unwaveringly in love with the creature he’s know for all of 4 minutes says “Can we mom please …just get this one?” 

As the oxygen level in the inner bowels of the bird sanctuary has been depleted, I’m sure I’m dying of Bird flu, and that stupid Parakeet keeps eyeballing me, I say yes.  But of course, the million dollar bird needs also need food,  and treats,  and a cage,  and toys – but not just one toy.  Noooooo Sir Pimpleface insists Cockatiels get bored and need their toys changed frequently.  (Oh one can only image the sorrows of having a bored cockatiel).  So after spending and extremely private amount of money that shall never be spoken of again, on …a …. Bird, we leave Pet Smart. 

So now to inform Mr-Till-Death-Do-Us-Part, who was SURE we did not need a replacement cat, that I have spent a small fortune on a replacement bird instead.  On the drive home I call him.  “Hi Honey!   I love you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much !!!

Believe it or not …. There is a part 3 to this story … tune in tomorrow  



No comments:

Post a Comment